August 8, 2007

One k.g. of Tomatoes per d.a.y.

Last week, I released 2 kilograms of tomatoes into my kitchen. Within 48 hours they were nearly extinct. There were two of us here at the time, so we had a kilo each. Mmmmmm.

This week, they are disappearing at the same rate, but there is only me here now. Lycopenodermia has not yet set in, though having recovered from an episode of carotenodermia a few years ago, I’m not afraid.

The good news is that I’m chock full of Vitamins C, A, and K; of molybdenum, potassium, and magnese; and of chromium, B1, and B6. If I had a prostate, it would be happy.

Today, I popped them into my mouth like grapes while reading Orhan Pamuk out on the porch. Another delicious way to eat them is in tomato sauce. Pasta optional.

I learned how to make this sauce from watching Monica’s mother, Giuletta. Add a bit of olive oil to pan a with quartered pomodorini (cherry tomatoes? These are not cherry tomatoes. They’re little jewels!). Let them cook over medium flame for no more than 18 minutes. While tomatoes are cooking, add salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes and squash the tomatoes with a fork. After cooking is finished, mix in fresh chopped basil and run it through a food mill.

I omit the food mill part because I like the texture, and I do not like washing dishes.

No comments: